Thanks for your interest in Gomio.com. Before you become a new member of GoMio, there is some important information regarding our business that you may be interested in reading.
GoMio.com is a social connection site and booking portal for young adults to make reservations at youth hostels around the world. Our company is currently based in Barcelona, and has an office in New York City.
Registration / Listing in gomio.com
How can I register in gomio.com?
The registration in gomio.com is free of charge.
Register your hostel
To register your property, we need you to fill in the following registration form with the details of your hostel.
Our team will check your registration and proceed to activate your account in gomio.com. You will receive an email with the login details once your registration is approved.
Please note that the registration can take between 2 and 10 working days. Don’t get nervous, we will contact you back with the status of your registration as soon as it is reviewed.
What are the requirements to become a GoMio member?
GoMio reserves the right to approve and deactivate accounts at any time.
We are a social connection and booking platform to make reservations at hostels around the world. The aim of our company is to help the hostel industry grow.
The type of properties listed in our system are
- backpacker accommodation,
- guesthouses and camping sites,
- mostly attracted by young people,
- 18-28 years old.
Our accommodations fit the needs of young people not just by being low cost, but also by offering many other services such as
- common areas,
- kitchen for guests,
- bunk beds,
- shared rooms,
- shared bathrooms ...
Hostel Chain / Group user
In case you have more than one account in gomio.com, you can request to be a group user. Please specify in “Special requests/ Comments” at the moment of registration that you wish to be a group user and we will create it for you.
Commissions through the portal (gomio.com)
GoMio charges the traveller a 10% non-refundable deposit due immediately upon booking. This deposit reflects the commission charged to the hostel for the booking. The remaining 90% of the transaction is paid directly to the hostel upon check-in.
Commissions through GoMio's affiliate network
Our hostels can also be booked from many of our partner websites that are in agreement with Gomio.com. We have partnerships with websites in the travel industry, hostel associations and Universities. We are intensively working and expanding our network.
Once your registration is approved, your hostel will be listed in gomio.com and in our affiliate network automatically.
Bookings on hostel’s websites that use GoMio’s “Customized Reservation Page” (CRP) technology
GoMio offers the possibility to use our technology in your hostel website to process confirmed bookings.
You can create your own CRP on your own from the GoMio Management System. Additionally, feel free to contact the GoMio Team to check the latest offers for this product: www.gomio.com/en/contact.php
B2B products: SocialBookerTM and GoDashboard
You can check our new social media products for the hostel industry in our B2B: www.gomio.com/b2b.
Please note that we have special commissions and offers for our products. You can contact us and the B2B department will assist you with our products: www.gomio.com/en/contact.php
Booking process and notifications
The bookings are automatically confirmed in gomio.com. We send an automatic email to the customer and the hostel. Please note that we can’t guarantee that the email will reach your server correctly, so you have to check the GoMio Management System (inbox) often to be sure that you don’t have bookings pending to be processed.
Once the booking is confirmed, the hostel has to honour the booking as stipulated in our Terms & Conditions: www.gomio.com/terms.php
Changes in the reservations and cancellations are directly managed between the customer and the hostel. GoMio doesn’t take part in the booking after the confirmation.
that GoMio highly recommends using a PMS (Property Management System)
and a Channel Manager
to manage your bookings and availability through the different Channels. In case you don’t have this technology, please contact us and we will assist you: www.gomio.com/en/contact.php
I forgot my login
No worries! You can get your login details back at any time by using the following link: www.gomio.com/gomiomanagement/ForgotPassword.aspx
The GoMio’s sites and resources
GoMio Management System (also called back office, inbox or back end):
Support us section. Logos and banners of GoMio
The registration form: